Friday, December 28, 2012

New Year Resolutions? You've got to be kidding me ...

I haven't made any New Year Resolutions.  I haven't really set any goals.  The "third trimester muck" has hit me earlier this time.  It seemed like the very week I crossed over into the third trimester, my mid-pregnancy energy surge just went ... pttt!  Gone.  My energy and my motivation just flew away one day. 

You have to have motivation in order to achieve goals, or even set them.  I guess you could say my New Year Resolution is just to make it through each day with my family fed, clothed, and the house still intact.  Okay, maybe it's not quite that bad.  I do have goals to keep up with the kids' schoolwork, to keep the house looking nice, and not to be a grumpy old troll for the next 11 weeks.  That last one may be the hardest goal to achieve.

Sometime in January, I'll finish sorting and washing baby boy clothes, and getting them moved into the dresser.  Sometime in February, I'll set up the bassinet.  Sometime in late February, we'll get the other baby gear clean and ready: car seat, boppy pillow, bathtub.  Then around the end of February or start of March I can pack my hospital bag.  And somewhere in those 2.5 months, we'll celebrate four kid birthdays, and I'll get Steve to commit to a baby name. There are still a few house projects I'd like to accomplish in that time, but it may not happen. 

I'm not setting new goals for this year.  I know it will take everything I have to keep up with life and my family in the weeks until the baby arrives and the month or two following his arrival.  I hope I can do it gracefully, graciously, lovingly, and joyfully. 

In the meantime, if you can't find me ... I'm probably curled up sleeping somewhere.  We can talk about New Year Resolutions next year.

Just taking it one day at a time,
April E.