Thursday, August 31, 2017

Review: The Unreformed Martin Luther by Andreas Malessa

I'm not an expert on Martin Luther, but I have heard some of the myths about him that Andreas Malessa debunks in The Unreformed Martin Luther. I was actually very interested in reading it, since my teens have been learning about church history in Sunday School and had brought home some interesting Martin Luther tidbits recently. I just had to know, were they true?

This book was originally written in German, then translated to English. The translation is extremely well-done and the humor of the author, Andreas Malessa, is retained quite well. I honestly had no idea that Martin Luther himself was so "cheeky" and humorous either, until reading some of the excerpts from his own writings that are included in this book. 

The Unreformed Martin Luther isn't a traditional biography, but it is a very interesting and informative book to read about Luther. I doubt I'd pick up an actual biography about his life, but I have enjoyed getting to know more about him through this book. My 18 year old daughter is interested in reading it, as well, since her curiosity was peaked by the stories she heard in Sunday School. She too is wondering just what the truth about Martin Luther really is.

I have to admit that only one of these myths debunked disappointed me, only because it's the first thing I ever learned about Martin Luther, and it wasn't actually true. What was it? You'll have to read the book to find out. I am sure you will enjoy getting to know him better, and tossing out some myths, just as much as I have.

April E.