Wednesday, December 16, 2009

God speaks to us, as we lead our children

Sometimes we have to teach our children lessons we're still struggling to accept.  At the moment, there is  politically-motivated injustice affecting some of our loved ones.  This situation ripples throughout our extended family, and we are all angry and hurting. 

Tonight I was particularly angry.  I was praying that God would bring justice and vengeance for my loved ones.  I was trying to think of ways to retaliate, to speak out about this injustice and the impure motives of those involved.  I ceased praying to ponder different avenues of confronting the political attackers, from my distant location.  The Holy Spirit began to convict me of my anger and my desire for vengeance.

I began to argue with the Lord over whether my anger was allowable and my plotting to try to expose the injustice was right.  I knew that my heart at that moment was wrong, but I didn't want to be forgiving.  I didn't want to let God dole out justice and vengeance in His timing. 

Later, I briefly explained the situation to my children.  Their anger rose, and they began to spew out their anger, hateful comments, and threats of vengeance.  As they each called out their angry wishes for the "bad guys", I realized that their comments echoed my own ... albeit in a less mature way.  Yet hearing them come from the mouths of my children, I knew I had to confront them.

I spoke with my children about forgiveness, praying for our enemies, letting God take vengeance, trusting in God even in times of injustice.  I reminded them to pray for our loved ones, pray for justice, pray for truth to be revealed, and pray for comfort.  I told my 8 year old to pray, not to worry.  He asked if it was okay to pray those people would get saved.  I assured him it was.

In speaking God's truth to my own children, my own heart was soothed.  "God knew about this before it ever happened.  God isn't surprised by this.  God is still in charge." 

Our hearts still hurt for our loved ones.  We are still indignant for them.  But I will strive to be an example to my children of Godly behavior, even in injustice. 

Trusting In Him,
April