Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Cheesy Corn in the Crock Pot

I tried a new recipe this weekend for a potluck I attended.  I first had something similar to it when we invited our pastor's family to our house for dinner and they brought it with them.  It was a cream cheese, butter and corn mixture. 

I found a similar recipe in one of my crock pot cookbooks, but it also had several American cheese slices in it.  Rather than call my pastor's wife for her recipe, I decided to use the recipe I had found.

But, I couldn't simply follow the recipe "as is".  I decided to leave out the sugar, add some onion powder and pepper to balance the sweetness of the corn, and replace some of the frozen corn with cream style corn.  

So here's MY version of Cheesy Corn in the Crock Pot.

Ingredients: 
2 standard sized bags frozen corn
3 cans cream style corn
1 can regular corn, drained (added at last minute when I feared it was getting too soupy)
1 package cream cheese, cubed
10 slices American Cheese, broken into quarters
1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick), sliced
3 Tbsp. milk
3 Tbsp. water
onion powder, to taste
black pepper, to taste

Mix all ingredients together in a 5 or 6 quart crock pot.  Cook on high for 5 hours.  (Cookbook said low for four hours, but I did it on high and I'm glad I did.  Of course if I'd used my newer crockpot, low would have been enough.)   Stir after 3 hours to mix cheeses into corn.  Stir before serving.

Cookbook said it served 10, but that must be as a main meal.  We served it to 16 people and still had leftovers to bring home and serve at supper last night.

Most of my kids really enjoyed this, and the six adults at the potluck all had seconds.  I guess that makes it a hit!

Enjoy!!

Trusting In Him,
April