Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Family Reunions, the Crew, and Charlotte Mason

We spent the weekend at a Family Reunion, and have been trying to catch up on our sleep, and housework ... ever since.  To be honest, I think we've tried to catch up on our sleep more than our housework, though.  At least I have.

We had a wonderful time with family, just visiting.  The children enjoyed fishing with their Dad, Uncle, and Papa.  They played with cousins, helped pump out all the stagnant water in the well,  had water gun wars, and wore themselves out.  The older girls just enjoyed listening in to the adult conversation and spending some time with their similarly-aged cousin, Holly.  It was another great reunion, and we're all treasuring the memories!

When we left the reunion on Sunday, my uncle sent a lot of the snack food items and pre-packaged pastries (for breakfast) home with us.  1 yo G has decided he really likes Danishes. He kept getting one out of the pantry, and carrying it to me, with the can opener in his other hand.  He knows where I keep the can opener, apparently, and that it is meant to open food.  He just hasn't figured out yet that it only opens metal cans, not plastic wrap.  He did it 3-4 times before I moved the pastries up out of his reach.

I took the time yesterday to record my oldest daughter's grades for 9th grade.  I researched how to make a transcript, and started a computer file with the important information stored on it.  I'll update it as she continues through high school, so we can prepare a transcript her senior year.  This is definitely a file I should keep a back-up of.

Today, we received the Crew Manuals and First Mate Manuals for the 2010-2011 Homeschool Crew.  I have emailed my team members, and am anxiously waiting to hear back from them.  I know the next week or two will be filled with answering questions for the new Crew members, and getting to know them.  Then we'll have a practice review before the curriculum items start arriving.   Here we go again!  I'm so thankful for the chance to be on the Homeschool Crew.  It is really a blessing!

I received a copy of Story Starters by Karen Andreola to review on Monday.  It's not a Crew item,  but an independent review.  I'm really looking forward to using it with my children.  I began reading the section for parents, and am enjoying its Charlotte Mason emphasis.  Karen Andreola has a new blog for homeschooling moms:  Moments With Mother Culture.   She is such an encouragement to me!  I have been reading Pocketful of Pinecones yearly for at least the past 5 years.   Recently, I read  Lessons At Blackberry Inn (the sequel) for the first time.  Now I'll have two books to read each Spring and Summer when I need to re-charge between our  homeschool years.

Laundry is calling me.  I'm tired, and would rather be thinking about the new Homeschool Crew year ... but I need to get some work done.

Be blessed,
April E.