Sunday, July 24, 2011

They warned her ... and they were right.

"Don't do it!  Don't pick Mom!  Pick Dad!  Mom will cry."


 

That's what my oldest two daughters urged my 3rd daughter, 12 yo C, to do today.  They warned her that if I read her testimony at her baptism, I'd cry like I did 2 years ago for 14 yo R's baptism.  But she persisted in wanting me to read it.

 

So I went up front with her, and I told everyone in the church that her sisters told her not to pick me because I'd probably cry, so I was going to do my best not to cry.

 

I failed.  The kids all laughed and congratulated themselves on being right.  Except 12 yo C.

 

She looked at me with accusation as if to say, "I can't believe you did it!  I can't believe you're up here crying in front of everyone and embarrassing me." But all she did was whisper, "Mo-om!" ... with a horrified look.

 

I regained control, and I finished reading her testimony, and she was baptized.  Our family (and our church) rejoiced in her baptism, and the other 8 baptisms today.

 

After the service, my 10 yo son told me he wants to be baptized next time ... but he's picking Dad to read his testimony ... NOT me!  Hmm.  I hope his Dad cries, too. That will show them all!

 

Today, I promised them that I'll sing at each of their weddings.  They've all promised me that I will NOT be singing at their weddings.  Sigh.  They have no faith in me.

 

But then again, is it a bad thing?  Is it really a bad thing to cry when you're feeling blessed, or incredibly happy?  I don't think so.  Vulnerability and honesty and openness are good things.  Right?

 

This blog post has been entered in The Christian Home magazine's weekly issue.  You can read more entries at The Legacy of Home blog.






 

Rejoicing in Family,
April E.