Wednesday, September 9, 2009

College Prep Genius -- my wake-up call!



College Prep Genius is one of the products I'm currently reviewing with my oldest (14 year old 9th grader) for the TOS Homeschool Crew.  The College Prep Genius course is designed to teach our students strategies to help them improve their SAT scores.  It includes the "Master the SAT Class" DVD set, a workbook, and a textbook.




I admit that I entered into this with the misunderstanding that the SAT was a test of knowledge.  I took the ACT when I was a senior in high school, and I really don't recall much about the PSAT I took my junior year.  I didn't prepare for either, other than to work through the practice book the school gave me when I signed up for the test. 

In reading the College Prep Genius textbook, I was surprised to learn that the SAT tests a student's logic skills, their ability to manage time, and even their writing skills ... not just knowledge.  I fell for one of the 13 SAT Myths!

Jean Burk was a homeschooling Mom living on a single income when she began to prepare her own children for the PSAT and SAT exams.  She designed these strategies and formulas to help her own children test well to earn scholarships to college.  Once she had successfully prepared her own children, she compiled the information into College Prep Genius and began to share it with others.

College Prep Genius teaches a student to pinpoint their weak areas and learn acronyms to help them improve their test-taking abilities.  It helps students overcome their fear and weaknesses -- learning what the test will look like, and how they can manage their time and use logic to score well.   You can read many helpful articles at the College Prep Genius website.

I'm just beginning to look through this with my 9th grader.  I'll admit that I naively wasn't really considering the SAT yet.  It wasn't on my radar screen at all.  In my mind, that was something to worry about in a couple years.  I'm so glad that I am reviewing this ... if for no other reason than to enlighten ME about the test .. and to remind me that my children do need to begin preparing for college entrance exams. 

I'll be posting a full review later, but I did want to mention that the College Prep Genius set is currently on sale for 30% off, $79.99 for the whole set.


Click the TOS Homeschool Crew banner at the top to read more reviews on this product by other Homeschool Crew members.

Trusting in Him,
April