Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Cranberry Vegetable Mix

One of my favorite frozen vegetable mixes we've tried recently had broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and cranberries in a butter sauce.  It is so delicious, I could eat the whole thing.

Steve bought a head of cauliflower and 2 stalks of broccoli recently.  As I was deciding how to prepare them, I thought of that mix.  I went searching in my pantry and found some craisins, and I knew I had butter and carrots in my fridge.  Yummy!!

So I chopped up the broccoli and cauliflower, added 1/2 lb. of baby carrots and probably 1/2 cup of craisins in my 3 quart casserole dish.  To the vegetables, I added 1.5 cups of water and 1/2 cup of butter.  Steve was not pleased I used so much butter, even though the end product was delicious.  I am commissioned to fix this again sometime, with less butter.  ;)

I first tried using my microwave to cook the vegetables, with the lid on my casserole dish.  That failed to work after probably half an hour ... my microwave was acting up I think.  The broccoli and cauliflower were getting tender  but not the carrots.  I was cooking some chicken breasts in the oven, so I added the lidded casserole dish to the oven at 400* and let it cook for about ten or fifteen minutes, until the carrots were also tender. 

I wish I could tell you more detailed cooking instructions, but I was experimenting and it didn't go as planned.  Next time I cook it, I'll try to update with better instructions.  It's delicious, though!