Monday, November 5, 2012

Gratitude Day 5: My Husband


Steve and I have been married for 18 years.  In that time, we've both grown and matured.  We know more about each others' faults now than we did then, and we've learned to overlook them.  Oh, we still annoy each other at times, but we work through it.  Last night, Steve did something that irked me, and followed it up with a comment about my attitude.  Yeah, that sat well, and I let him know I was mad by getting huffy with him for awhile.  To be honest, I think that actually amused him, but he waited and gave me time to get over it.  I still let him know later exactly WHY I had been upset, but we didn't let the sun go down on our anger.  Or more accurately, my anger.  He was very patient with me.

When we got married, we didn't know what God had in store for our lives.  We often look back and agree we didn't see "that one" coming, but we're so thankful we walked through it together.  Our biggest adventure has been becoming the parents of 8 children, with so much more responsibility than we dreamed when we first got married. Steve works more than 40 hours a week at his job, as well as managing his mother's medical/business affairs, and the family farm's business affairs.  And yet he still finds time to play football with his sons, read a book to a young child (as long as he can stay awake while he's reading), and plan family outings that he has to convince his homebody wife will be fun.  We even occasionally find time to actually go on a date, just the two of us.

Steve is a careful man.  He makes careful decisions for his family ... and I've learned that it's best to let him take the time to make that decision rather than push him for the fast answer I'd often prefer.  Steve is also a "caretaker".  He does his best to take care of our home, our land, our vehicles, our family, our finances, his widowed mother, and the animals in our care.  He does a lot of "not fun" jobs and works hard on his days off.  He shows us all how to be unselfish and to work with a servant's heart.

There have been times when I have wished others didn't realize how intelligent, reliable and responsible my husband was.  I've been resentful of their claim on his time, which often meant he worked late, or spent evenings serving on committees and boards, or helping friends with computer problems when I just wanted him to come home and be with us.  But even though it has often meant sharing my husband more than I liked, I'm so thankful that others see his integrity and respect him.  I've learned to share him a little better, and not get upset when he works later or commits himself to other things. (I think I'm better at this, at least.  Of course, I also think I'm less hormonal than I used to be and Steve laughs when I say that.)

I've been blessed with a loving and committed husband.  He has a strong love for his family and he spends his free time with us.  He doesn't spend hours on his own hobbies, or "out with the guys".  He provides for us, leads us, and loves us.  He puts up with my faults, and my moods.  He makes it hard to stay mad at him, and it's fun to make him laugh.  He's not perfect, but I know I have just as many faults as he does, and if he can overlook mine ... I can certainly return the favor.  Besides, he's my best friend, and I can't imagine life without him. Of course, it also helps that he still calls me beautiful, and means it. 

April E.