Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Book Review: The LifeGiving Table by Sally Clarkson


I'm very late in posting this review of The Lifegiving Table by Sally Clarkson. I started reading the book months ago, but I was so wrapped up in survival mode with my family that I found the idea of trying to create a beautiful table experience with meaningful times of conversation completely overwhelming. I made it almost half-way through the book and just didn't pick it up again. Yesterday, I took it with me to read while waiting on my son at baseball practice. I'm just as overwhelmed with loving on my family these days, but I picked up the book again at just the right spot. If' I'd just kept reading one more chapter last time I would have come to the part where Sally pours grace all over the reader and tells us that even a snack meal can be life-giving if it's presented in the right way and your presence is given to your children.

We're still just as likely to eat at the couches, on paper plates, before my husband is home from late-hours at work most nights. But this new stage of life has me preparing Sunday afternoon meals for my family and our adult children, gathering together on a weekly basis. It means getting up a little earlier on Sunday morning, and prepping some meal items on Saturday night, but it has been worth the effort. We've pulled out the table cloths and made the effort to be sure our large dining room table (which also serves as our school area) is cleared off on Saturday night and all the non-food items set out ready to go after church.

Don't let the idea of family meals or creating a place of beauty for your family overwhelm you. Sally encourages us to make the most of what we have, and creating a respite and gathering place for our family no matter where we are. I may have a cluttered home, a dining room that doubles as a school room, and walls that desperately need to be repainted - but I can still set the table, fill it with good food, and pour love out on my family in the process.

"Learning to create beauty and peace in everyday moments was what kept me going in the middle of it all. Food, feasting, and traditions are not frivolous, but ways to make life work, to make it sustainable. Predictable peace, comfort, and fellowship are something every home should provide - at least most of the time."
          ~ Sally Clarkson, The Lifegiving Table

Each chapter in Sally's book ends with something to think about, something to try, and a few of their family's favorite recipes. The something to ponder is usually Scripture, a few devotional thoughts, and quotes. Something to try are practical steps you can take to apply the chapter's message. The recipes range from simple family recipes to delectable treats that the Clarkson's enjoy.  I'll be trying some of the recipes myself, though not all of them suit our personal style and food tastes, here.

If you're looking for encouragement in the task of caring for your family on a daily basis, or looking for ideas to create lasting family memories and traditions, The Lifegiving Table is a wonderful source of inspiration. I admit to feeling weary of cooking and kitchen chores on a regular basis. It helps to be reminded of WHY I feed my family and WHY I take time to cook family favorites instead of relying on easy frozen options. (Which we do use - too much during our current baseball season.)

April E.