Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Apologia Publishing: Who is God? And Can I Really Know Him?







One of the main reasons I homeschool my children is so that we can provide an education with a Biblical worldview.  We choose our curriculum carefully, to be sure it is coming from a Christian perspective.  Despite that purpose, I had never bought an individual Worldview curriculum.

 

Apologia has begun publishing the What We Believe series, which are Biblical worldview textbooks to be used in your home.  The first volume teaches a Biblical worldview of God and Truth:  Who is God? And Can I Really Know Him?

 

Who is God? covers ten essential truths about God in ten separate chapters.  Each chapter includes an introduction to the truth, a short story to illustrate the truth, discussion questions, notebook questions, vocabulary, Bible memory verses, and about two weeks worth of content that helps children understand the Biblical truth being taught.  The Biblical truth is taught in multiple ways to ensure that every child fully understands it.  This book is intended for children ages 6-14, and I definitely think that K - 8th grade is its main target, but high school students can also be included.

 

This is a beautiful textbook by John Hay and David Webb.  It is hardbound, with 252 pages, and measures a bit larger than 8.5 by 11 inches.  The font is easy to read, and the book is well-designed with section dividers and helpful illustrations.  The introduction to the book includes a suggestion for dividing each chapter/lesson up over the course of two weeks.  I found it difficult to refer back to that outline each day, and also found that different chapters include different amounts of information.  Instead, I chose to just pick up the book and read another section or two each day, breaking at whatever seemed to be a natural closing for the day, or whenever my children were at the end of their ability to focus.

 

I love Who Is God? And Can I Really Know Him? My children don't necessarily love it as much as I do, but they do sit and listen to the lessons and enjoy them.  More importantly, they are learning essential Biblical truths in an easily understood matter.  The very things I've tried to teach them all their lives through discussion and application, are explained and laid out clearly in this textbook ... in ways I wouldn't have thought to teach them.  We will continue to work through this book in our family, because I want my children to have a Biblical worldview, and to recognize the other worldviews out there that are not Biblical.

 

Who is God? And Can I Really Know Him? is available for $39.00 from Apologia.  There are also an amazing amount of additional resources available at the Apologia website, including notebooking pages, examples, and teacher help files.  The access information for the supplemental pages is provided in the Introduction of the textbook.  You can also view a sample lesson, and the book's table of contents at the Apologia website.  Take a look at the sample lesson, so you can see how wonderful this book really is!

 

This item was provided free for our review as a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew. We received no other compensation, and this review is our honest opinion. Visit the TOS Homeschool Crew blog to read more reviews on this product by other Homeschool Crew members.


Trusting In Him,
April