Friday, August 25, 2017

Book Review: Sacred Mundane by Kari Patterson


Kari Patterson's message in Sacred Mundane isn't exactly new to me. I've heard the message of worship in our everyday life and acts of service. I know that whatever we do, it should be "all to the glory of God." (1 Corinthians 10:31) I've memorized Colossians 3:17 - "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  And yet, I needed the in-depth focus on this message in Sacred Mundane.

Most of us are living ordinary, mundane lives. We get wrapped up in bills, deadlines, piles of laundry, and fussing children, which can leave us wondering what we could possibly be doing for God's kingdom. Where is the great life purpose we were each told God has for us? Is it in the rush to get to work on time, the dirty dishes, and the grocery shopping? Kari Patterson says yes. Not that those things are sacred and holy, in themselves, but how we live out our lives in the midst of that is our sacrifice of praise to God. Our faithfulness each day gradually transforms us to be more like Him.


There were so many passages that touched my heart and challenged me in this book. It is exactly what I need right now, because I've been struggling with discouragement in the mundaneness of life. (Yes, that is a word - even if my computer doesn't think so.) Everyday life is just so ordinary and seemingly never-ending and I forget my purpose. I forget that my attitude and faithfulness are gifts of praise to Him. I forget that these moments of obedience in my home, where only my family sees it, are making me more like Him. If you're feeling worn down by life, and viewing your days as monotonous drudgery, there is hope in regaining your joy.  Sacred Mundane is refreshing and challenging. Kari Patterson asks some hard questions. The book includes the framework and questions for a ten week Bible study, day by day. I like that this doesn't require a second book to hold a group Bible Study. Only one book is required.  

April E.